Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Praise & Blame

Late post been brewing a lot lately and this one is now three brews back from my most current creation!

I wanted to make a SMASH ale for the beach trip back in late July, and decided to split the batch in half and add peaches to one and dry hop the other.

The dry hop brew I named Praise, and the peaches brew is Blame.

A lot of my beers can be well odd, extreme, or just plan gross (chicken lemon pepper anyone? (soap)), but I would like to think I learn for each of the brews to make product. Some of the brews the people have enjoyed in the past  - coconut coffee porter, trinity  stout, quad, imperial amber, and pineapple IPA. This one might not be as great as those but I still like to learn what contributes exactly to a beer, and what a better way then a SMASH ale so I did this with only US 2-row, 16 lbs of it, with Caliente as the only hop.
A new hop, not sure I will use it again though it did bring some interesting flavors like cherry and candy.
The peaches dint turn out as well as I like bc to news to me peaches don't sink as well and you get a lot floaty fruit in the beer, didn't do too much to the flavor but it wasn't very appealing to see stuff floating.

One my favorite parts besides brewing a beer is naming it! Some have loved the names I have come up with, like the pineapple IPA (Babyface), A Bear's Vice (Berliner Weisse), or Charlie Brown (PB & J Brown Ale). For this brew I named Praise & Blame because well one of them you will Blame me and the other you will Praise me for..which one is which is up to you but to eliminate confusion peaches is Blame and dry hoped is Praise.

For those wanting the recipe here it is, for the rest of you give me your thoughts positive or negative.


Fermentables

Efficiency: 69.0 % Batch size: 6.0 gal
Boil time: 60 min

Fermentable Amount
2-Row (US) 16.0 lb 100 %

Hop Amount Time
Caliente (US) 0.5 oz 60 min
Caliente (US) 1.0 oz 30 min
Caliente (US) 1.0 oz 10 min
Caliente (US) 0.5 oz 1 min
Caliente (US) 1.0 oz 14 days

Yeast
Name Lab/Product
Burton IPA Wyeast
Burton IPA Wyeast

Name Amount Time
Peach Puree 3.0 lb 14.0 days Secondary

Predicted Stats
1.068 OG 1.019 FG
65 IBU 6.5% ABV
2 SRM 0.96 IBU/OG

No comments:

Post a Comment