Tuesday, September 9, 2014

White Rain (Blonde Coffee Chocolate Stout)

Blonde Stout? yeah that is hard, did it turn out well sure. Is it a stout, no but does it have coffee aromas and flavors, oh yeah! How about chocolate yep but not as strong as the coffee. 
Is blonde? No more like golden slight red hue to it. 

What would I change not sure since it is something no one really has done much of and I cant really find anything commercially to speak off. I had flaked oats, brown sugar, chocolate malt, lactose, and some crystal 40 so that should have been enough, but I probably should have added some roasted barley but then that brings the color up so I could have added about 4 ozs to the grain bill but not sure that would be enough. Again this beer is a great dessert like kind of ale but is missing the "close your eyes I am drinking a stout" but it i does have the "close your eyes am I drinking coffee". 

This was no matter what a fun brew to make and one of the many great reasons to be a home brewer... because no one commercially speaking, can afford to do something this crazy all the time, except if that is your staple being crazy... not sure how profitable that is.




Fermentable                                     Amount               Use        PPG       Color
Pale 2-Row (UK )                              11.5 lb                   66 %       Mash     38           2  °L
Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light       3.0 lb                     17 %       Boil         42           2  °L
Lactose (Milk Sugar)                       1.0 lb                     5 %         Boil         41           1  °L
Briess Caramel Malt 40L                   9.44 oz                  3 %         Mash     34           40  °L
Brown Sugar                                      9.44 oz                  3 %         Boil         45           15  °L
Flaked Oats                                        9.44 oz                  3 %                         33           2  °L
Bairds Chocolate Malt                    2.36 oz                  0 %         Mash     32           475  °L

Hops Boil time: 60 min
Hop                        Amount               Time      Use        Form     AA
Warrior (US)       1.2   oz                  60  min  Boil         Pellet    16.0%

Yeasts
American Ale     Wyeast 1056     
Additives
Whirlfloc
Coffee (whole) 1.0 lb     10.0 min      Boil
Chocolate Flavoring        2.0 oz    14.0 days             Bottle
1.084 OG 
1.021 FG
 43 IBU
 8.3% ABV
 12 SRM 

No comments:

Post a Comment