Tuesday, January 30, 2018

New Burner!



When you build a new home, you get to decide all the the fun details that screams this is my home! Well one of the unique features that I got added was an extra natural gas line in the garage. After being in our new home for 1/2 year, I decided to convert my propane burner to natural gas, but instead of converting it I just bough this sweet Natural Gas Jet Burner! In the comments, it says it can put out 100,000 to 160,000 BTUs. Let me just tell you it is most definitely on the higher end of that number.  First see this video, when I first got it connected.  

Next when I brewed my latest beer (coconut coffee porter, post to come on that), it took my 39 degree 4.5 gallons of water to 160 degrees in 20 mins!!
It was very cold that day, as my neighbors who were brave enough to hang out with me can attest to that.  Dont get me wrong, I love some fire but I dont want my fire to blow everything I love away. The things I did to properly connect the gas line to my burner are the following:

  • First natural gas hose that is meant for outdoor use. Gas Line
  • natural gas line sealant, this is better than the yellow ng tape. 
  • Then you will need a couple of shut off valves one coming from the house,and another closer to the burner, this is to help with gas flow and safety.  
    • One valve is 1/2 in and the other is 3/8th. The 1/2 is on the wall, and 3/8 is from the burner.
    • I removed the one the builders put in, because one it looked like crap and the other it was impossible to take the plug out.
  • From shut off valve from the house, you will need a reducing hex nipple
  • There are few more items you need like a 6 inch pipe that connects to the burner.
  • I will update this post with a video showing the specific other parts needed. 

Overall, it cut my brewing time significantly, a normal brew day before the old burner was 4 to 6 hrs, now it is more like 4 hours. 

Until next time, Cheers y'all! 






















No comments:

Post a Comment