Friday, December 12, 2014

Elf'n Madness Ale (Carrot Cake Quad)

Insanity ... yeah pretty much looney anything but ordinary is usually the only rule when I brew and this is no exception. If anything.. I took it to a whole new level. Whatever line was there has be obliterated and only ashes of it remain. 

It has been a long time since I brewed my last Quad, and at first I thought I just make the same recipe again.. BLAH really? Nah I know the thousand reasons why you should brew the same beer over and over and over... but when Christmas comes around I just have to make it super special, unique .. one of kind... never been done before... crashing the taste buds of humanity... etc.

The idea came carrot cake quad... maybe from wife not sure she is pretty awesome like that, and for some reason supports this addiction of mine. So I went with that idea, even though carrot cake is one my least favorite cakes. I goggled... binged and even yahoo-ed for days on carrot cake recipes found a really good one and said OK can all this go in a beer ?! Will all of it be noticeable or will it be just one big hot mess?! 

Above is what went into the secondary in 5 gallon nylon mesh bag... I roasted all of that together at once.. pineapple, pecans. and coconut flakes. 
I think the biggest thing I learned from doing big stuff like this...put each ingredient in the secondary by it's self for a little bit not all at once. I mostly got coconut flavor from this "hot mess" which isnt bad but I would have like to have tasted more pineapple and pecans.. 

The recipe is below the only thing I don't have listed here that I did yesterday during bottling is add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg at end of boil of the bottling sugar. 
 

Elf'n Madness Ale


Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Type: All Grain
Calories: 403.48
Rating: 0.0
Boil Size: 6.80 Gals
IBU's: 33.39
Batch Size: 5.00 Gals
Color:   32.3 SRM  
Boil Time: 90 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.105



Estimated
Actual
Brew Date:
-
11/23/2014
OG:
1.124
1.098
FG:
1.031
1.006
ABV:
12.17 %
12.05 %
Efficiency:
67.00 %
50.01 %
Serve Date:
12/25/2014
-


Grains & Adjuncts
Amount
Percentage
Name
Time
Gravity
20.00 lbs
72.12 %
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
60 mins
1.036
1.60 lbs
5.77 %
Honey Malt
60 mins
1.034
1.20 lbs
4.33 %
Caramunich Malt
60 mins
1.033
13.00 ozs
2.93 %
German Dark Munich
60 mins
1.037
6.40 ozs
1.44 %
Aromatic Malt
60 mins
1.036
6.40 ozs
1.44 %
Special B Malt
60 mins
1.030
1.60 ozs
0.36 %
Bairds Chocolate Malt
60 mins
1.035
2.00 lbs
7.21 %
Candi Sugar, Amber
60 mins
1.036
13.00 ozs
2.93 %
Turbinado
60 mins
1.044
6.50 ozs
1.46 %
Raisins
60 mins
1.046


Hops
Amount
IBU's
Name
Time
AA %
1.00 ozs
16.69
Northdown
60 mins
7.90
1.00 ozs
16.69
North down
60 mins
7.90


Yeasts
Amount
Name
Laboratory / ID
5 act pkgs
Belgian Abbey II
Wyeast Labs 1762


Additions
Amount
Name
Time
Stage
2.00 each
Vanilla Beans
7 days
Secondary
0.10 tsp
Ginger Root
1 mins
Boil
0.15 tsp
Cinnamon Powder
1 mins
Boil
0.05 tsp
Cloves, Ground
1 mins
Boil
10.00 oz
Roasted Pecans
7 days
Secondary
12.00 oz
Pineapples
7 days
Secondary
8.00 oz
Unsweet Coconut flakes
7 days
Secondary
1.50 lb
Roasted Puree Carrots
60 mins
Mash


Mash Profile
Profile Name: All Grain Profile 1

Grain Temp: 70.00 °F
Mash Tun Vol Loss: 0.75 Gals
Grain Absorption: 0.13 Gals/lb
Tun Temp Loss: 4.50 °F
Cooling Shrinkage: 4.00 %
Kettle Trub Loss: 0.75 Gals
Hourly Boiloff: 9.00 %

     Mash Steps:
Infusion
90 min@152.0°F
  Add 30.64 qts water @ 169.6°F
Batch Sparge
  Sparge 12.30 qts water @ 170.00 °F


Water Profile

(none)




Fermentation Steps
Name
Days / Temp
Estimated
Actual
Primary
7 days @ 68.0°F
11/23/2014
11/23/2014
Secondary
10 days @ 68.0°F
11/30/2014
12/01/2014
Bottle/Keg
14 days @ 68.0°F
12/11/2014
12/11/2014


Carbonation
Bottle Carbonation
Desired Vol of CO2:
2.20 Vols
Beer Temperature:
68.00 °F
Residual CO2 in Beer:
0.86
Table Sugar Required:
3.42 ozs


Notes
27.01 lb grain bill

8.78 gallons of water at 165.2 * F

Sparge .39 gallons

Second sparge 4.38 gallons @ 170

No comments:

Post a Comment