I have brewed a black ipa before at least on this blog it shows I did but I have no memory of what it looked like, how it tasted or anything of the sort. I'm sure there is a reason for it but alas. So I decided to brew it again and this time with my younger brother. He is just getting into home brewing and him and his wife came over to see how to do all grain. I think he had a great time, I know i sure did!
We decided to make a 10 gallon batch, and the grain bill for this was probably one of the highest I have ever done, around 30 lbs! I am glad he was there to help me lift the pot, not sure I would have be able to do it on my own with out some serious spillage of hot nearly boiling 10 gallons of water!
The process went pretty smoothly though I forgot to put yeast nutrient and clarifying agent in the brew. Neither of which is a deal breaker since 3 days before I made pretty big yeast starter for this, around 2 gallons, and since this is black IPA it is pretty pointless to have a clarifying agent like Irish moss.
Below is the recipe, Right now the 10 gallon batch is split into two different fermenters, and i will be dry hoping one and adding 2 jalapenos to the other (that one is called Haus on Fire, a name dedicated to a great former co-worker of which I promise my next beer would be named after her).
Bat Cave IPA/Haus on Fire
|
| Style: Imperial IPA | OG: 1.076 | |
| Type: All Grain | FG: 1.019 | |
| Rating: 0.0 | ABV: 7.47 % | |
| Calories: 248 | IBU's: 86.42 | |
| Efficiency: 70 % | Boil Size: 11.06 Gal | |
| Color: 33.3 SRM | Batch Size: 10.00 Gal | |
| Preboil OG: 1.072 | Boil Time: 75 minutes | |
|
| |
| Fermentation Steps |
| Name | Days / Temp |
| (none) |
| |
| Grains & Adjuncts |
| Amount | Percentage | | Name | Time | Gravity |
| 24.00 ozs | 4.96 % | | Briess White Malt Wheat | 60 mins | 1.039 |
| 1.00 lbs | 3.31 % | | Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L | 60 mins | 1.034 |
| 24.00 lbs | 79.34 % | | Pale Malt, Maris Otter | 60 mins | 1.038 |
| 36.00 ozs | 7.44 % | | Joe White Light Munich | 60 mins | 1.038 |
| 24.00 ozs | 4.96 % | | Weyermann Carafa III | 60 mins | 1.036 |
| |
| Hops |
| Amount | IBU's | | Name | Time | AA % |
| 0.40 ozs | 8.82 | | Columbus (Tomahawk) | First Wort | 15.60 |
| 0.25 ozs | 4.87 | | Simcoe | First Wort | 13.80 |
| 0.75 ozs | 14.62 | | Simcoe | 60 mins | 13.80 |
| 1.00 ozs | 17.95 | | Magnum | 60 mins | 12.70 |
| 1.25 ozs | 11.95 | | Amarillo Gold | 30 mins | 8.80 |
| 1.00 ozs | 4.98 | | Cascade | 15 mins | 7.10 |
| 1.00 ozs | 0.85 | | Cascade | 2 mins | 7.10 |
| 1.00 ozs | 0.00 | | Cascade | 0 mins | 7.10 |
| 3.00 ozs | | | Amarillo Gold | 7 days | 8.80 |
| 0.90 ozs | 21.01 | | Apollo | 45 mins | 18.00 |
| |
| Yeasts |
| Amount | Name | Laboratory / ID |
| 6.00 pkg | American Ale | Wyeast Labs 1056 |
| |
| Additions |
| Amount | Name | Time | Stage |
| 0.50 tsp | Yeast Nutrient | 15 mins | Boil |
| 0.50 tsp | Irish Moss | 15 mins | Boil |
| 2.00 each | JalapeƱo | 07 days | Secondary |
| |
| Mash Profile |
|
| Light Body Infusion | 75 min @ 152.0°F |
|
| Add 40.23 qt ( 1.33 qt/lb ) water @ 168.2°F |
|
| |
| Carbonation |
| Amount | Type | Beer Temp | CO2 Vols |
| 5.74 oz | Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation | 70.0°F | 1.90
|
No comments:
Post a Comment